- Start with one Site collection.
- Include a central location for all assets that everybody needs to access – this location requires anonymous access. Example: images that pages need to display.
- The NEW icon that is displayed on a recently added item is displayed for 24 hours.
- Everything in SharePoint is stored in a list or library, including pages.
- Enterprise Wiki is the most common page type.
- Enterprise Wiki is a free form collaboration page – using a web interface
- Enterprise Wiki pages can be created by c ontent editors – as a means of sharing and collaborating. (In our case they could be created by teachers to display their content).
- Sharepoint pages load slower than other pages because SharePoint chcks every single element for permissions, ie Ribbon commands.
- Script – SPWakeup – a scheduled task will connect to site at preset intervals and will for connection to server.
- Sharepoint 2010 must be used with SharePoint Designer 2010. If a SharePoint 2010 site is edited with SharePoint Designer 2007 things may be broken. SharePoint Designer 2010 is a free download.
- Farm administrators need to be aware of the SharePoint Version eg 4(220.127.116.1162) when restoring from backup.
- Permissions can be controlled down to individual pages.
- Library/List Views cannot be controlled by permissions.
- The content of SharePoint pages opened in SharePoint designer can be edited in the same way as the content can be edited in the browser view.
- However, in Advanced Mode, structural changes can be made to the page. SharePoint will not let these changes be written back to the master page the page is based on. It will prompt to save a copy of the page in the content database. This change can be reversed at a later stage in SharePoint Designer. Conceptually this prevents a one off change to a page in a sub site inadvertantly affecting other pages in the site.
- It is important to create policy guidelines that will only allow designers – power users, such as WebMaster to made advanced mode edits to pages;
- Chapter 3 – Lists and Libraries
In response to the question “when to you create different libraries for content, Milan’s answer was|
- Best Practice Docment Libraries
One – One and a half screens of content.
- Another reason for creating separate pages with filtered view of document libraries is that users add the page to their Favourites.
- There does not appear to be any easy method of preventing users from viewing documents in a document library. Investigate movement between library holding content that holds content until it is ready to be made available to students.